Friday, December 12, 2008

The Safest Time of Day for Us...


That's it... I officially wish I was a vampire.

I had heard of Twilight... I knew Jillian was reading the series when I saw one of the books in her car once. I'd seen some other people mention it on their blogs in the past. I'd read an article about how the relationship between Edward and Bella is a metaphor for Stephenie Meyer's opinions on abstinence.

I didn't plan on reading it, though. I just am not really into vampires... not for any particular reasons, just not really interested. Also, being as it was a young adult novel series, I didn't think it would be that good.

Then, lots of people started talking about it, like all in the same week. A friend at work became obsessed with it, then Jillian mentioned it again, then Stacey said it was causing fights in her house because she was reading it all the time, then Carrie Beth blogged about her passion for it, and then - to top it off - it was suggested as our January Book Club choice!

So, I ordered it using my credit card reward points, and it came on Wednesday. It came to my parents' house, and they brought it to me about 6:30 pm. I was sewing, so I ignored it. I didn't really think it would be that interesting since vampires just aren't my thing.

So, I laid down to read just a little bit before bed at 9:00 pm.

Saunders had to MAKE me turn out the light at 11:00 pm.

I read while I blow dried my hair on Thursday morning, while I brushed my teeth, read during my planning period, and I even skipped lunch to read in my classroom at school.

This book, including the preview for the next book, is about
520 pages.

How long did it take me to finish it?

Including sleeping, teaching, and a little family time on Thursday evening when I wasn't reading...
Wednesday @ 9:00 pm - Thursday @ 10:17 pm
25 hours, 17 minutes.

Estimated actual reading time during that 25 hours?
I figured about 8 hours.

So, you're wondering- it is good? Oh yeah, it's that good. It is one of those books that makes you want to skip ahead because you've got to know what happens, but then you don't want to miss one sentence of what's happening, so you're torn!

I do like vampires.

I think it was so cruel to include the preview of the next book, though. I was so filled with anguish when I had to stop without knowing what happened next, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to go to sleep after reading that cliff hanger moment! It reminded me of those horrible feelings of waiting for the next Harry Potter after you'd read the teaser chapter. I finally stopped reading the teaser chapters because I just couldn't handle the year of waiting.

Thank goodness I waited to read this series
until all the books were out!

Tomorrow, the hunt begins for the next three books...

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Yep...it's THAT good. In fact, it's so good that I'm debating rereading the whole series b/c every time I try to start another book, I just get mad that I'm not still reading the Twilight series. I think it's a cult and I should be president. Get ready, though. New Moon is not quite as good. Eclipse picks it right back up again and then Breaking Dawn is AWESOME!

Carrie Beth said...

I knew you would love it too!!! Just like all the teenage girls, I'm secretly in love with Edward. :-) I'm almost done with #3 and can't wait to get to Breaking Dawn. Everyone who's read all four told me Twilight and Breaking Dawn were their favorites. I'm reading slower now just because I don't want it to be over, but like Stacey said, I can really see myself reading them all again.

Anonymous said...

i am so excited about reading it. my sis has the first book so i am going to steal it from her.

Kelly Miller said...

Count me in. My mom gave it to me for birthday on Thanksgiving and I was finished by Saturday. It was an amazingly good - though I found the writing clunky and excesive. We didn't need all those pages for that story! I'm waiting for New Moon to arrive ... and it needs to hurry up!

Stacey said...

after reading the Miller's comment, I realized that I'm not a book critic or whatever it would be called because I could have definitely tolerated even more words to tell the story! I didn't want it to end even after over 500 pages!