Sunday, February 1, 2009

It's a Wrap!

If you're my friend on Facebook, you may have noticed my status changes about making a wrap dress from Katie Anne. I was totally inspired by Ella's dress, and I wanted to try to make one kind of like it myself. I worked on the dress yesterday morning before everyone woke up, and I finished it during KA's nap time. I made the dress reversible- one side is a cute Valentine's Day fabric that I've been wanting since I saw it last fall, and the other is a pink polka dot.

When I was cutting and starting to sew the dress, I thought, "This is SO easy! I'm going to take a bunch of pictures and put a tutorial on my blog in case Jillian or Trisha or Carrie Beth or some other sewer wants to try it." It went super fast at the beginning, and I loved that there were only 6 big pieces to the whole thing. Well, it is easy... but actually putting the pieces together got a little crazy right at the end, and I think it would be too hard for me to explain. It is a lot of criss-crossing and lining up just right. But, I took all those pictures, so I thought I'd share them in case anyone wants to see part of the process... I kind of stopped taking pictures when it got really confusing!

Click to play Wrap Dress
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


I absolutely love the dress... except for one mistake on the shoulders (it is kind of hard not having a "bad side" to the fabric), I think it looks so good. Unfortunately, I think it is too big for Katie Anne right now. I couldn't really try it on her because (as you can see in the pictures) she was running around like a wild child after her nap. I think it is too big, even though I made the pattern based on one that already fits. I'll try it on again today and see. If it is too big, she can wear it next year. I'll definitely make more reversible wrap dresses, just with some small adjustments in size and construction.

I also made a pillowcase dress, and that should fit. She'll probably wear that one out today, so I'll post pictures of it later.

5 comments:

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

So cute!! I didn't know you got the idea from Ella's dress:) I had fun at the movies on Friday!

Trisha Jones said...

verrrry cute, katie! i love it.

cindy glawson said...

I love the photos showing step by step. That is a very nicely sewn dress. My compliments to the pattern maker.

Jillian said...

By far best dress!! SOO cute and creative!! Great job~!

Carrie Beth said...

Very cute...too bad that it was too big!