Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Great New Cookbook

When I was at my parents' house for dinner on Saturday night, my mom showed me a great cookbook she'd gotten at Costco.  It's called Quick Fixes with Mixes by Southern Living, and it has a ton of great, easy recipes in there ... all of them utilizing either bagged, bottled, or frozen ingredients.  I don't really see a lot of mixes being used in it ... I think they just liked that name.  What I really like about it is that the recipes are easy, quick, and so far really tasty; they don't require random, hard-to-find ingredients that you buy for one recipe and throw away six months later; and they don't require very many ingredients at all.  When we went to Costco on Sunday, I picked up a copy for myself @ only $11.99!  I love Costco's book prices.


Tonight, I tried an enchilada recipe that was really easy and tasty.  I'm skeptical when a cookbook says that a recipe only has a ten minute prep time, but this one really did!  It took my oven longer to preheat than it took me to get the enchiladas ready for the oven.  Because I was using a Pampered Chef pan, my cook time was about 5 minutes longer than suggested before the enchiladas started to bubble, and I did switch to the broiler for just a few minutes at the end because I wasn't happy with the non-browning of my cheese.  Then, it was time to eat the yummy enchiladas!  We had spicy rice and black beans to go with our enchiladas.


It was really delicious and filling.  Katie Anne liked it, too!  I made a very kid-friendly (and Saunders-friendly ... he doesn't like spicy foods) using mild ingredients, but I think you could make this even tastier if you spiced it up a little more.  Another great thing about this recipe ... lots of leftovers for lunch this week!


If you'd like to try a recipe from this cookbook before you buy it, here's the recipe I made tonight:
I would highly suggest
Quick Fixes with Mixes
if you're looking for a new cookbook!!!

1 comment:

Trisha Jones said...

Thanks for the info! I'm always looking for new things that this Jones brother will eat. I love Mexican, but he hates spicy... this sounds like a great compromise. I always try to add the green chiles on top to my portion of homemade Mexican food here at home (tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc), so that's definitely a way to spice up your food without spicing up theirs. I'll be looking for this book next time I bust out of "Mayberry"