Monday, September 7, 2009

Boo! Halloween Time!

Okay, it isn't really Halloween time. I know it still is roughly two months away. However, to be ready for Halloween (and the Kiddie Day Parade on Sept. 19), I've got to start now. So, here's the plan...

A few weeks ago, Katie Anne picked out what she wanted to be for Halloween. We went to the Simplicity pattern web site, and we checked out all the toddler/little girls' costumes. I was strongly pushing for this Dorothy pattern, because I thought it would be so cute for Ginger to be Toto. However, Katie Anne had other ideas. She wanted to be Snow White, and this was fine with me. Snow White is totally cute, and Katie Anne has a very Snow White vibe with her little dark-haired bob. So, Snow White she shall be!Then, I wanted to make family costumes for the rest of us. Saunders and I usually dress up for Halloween. We've got a few Halloween parties to go to, and I'm planning on having a Halloween party here. So, I thought it would be fun for all of us to dress up. Immediately, when KA picked Snow White, I thought Saunders and I could be two dwarves. Dwarves would be easy to make and should be pretty comfortable, too.

Well, Katie Anne did not like the look of the Dwarves. She said, "Mommy, they short. They old. They little. They has beards. You and Daddy do not need to be dwarves." So, I asked who she thought we should be ... and she said, "Daddy can be Prince Charming, and you can be the queen." I told Katie Anne that the queen is actually The Wicked Queen, and she is a bad guy (or girl... but in Katie Anne's world, all bad people are "bad guys"). Wouldn't she rather me be a nice, sweet, comfy dwarf? No. She said, "Mommy, she is bad, but she is pretty." Truer words have never been spoken... so, the Wicked Queen I will be!


Now, I am not going to be an exact replica of The Wicked Queen, for several reasons. First of all, that is a very complicated outfit with the dress, robe, bell sleeves, etc. Secondly, that will be way too hot in Georgia in October. Thirdly, there is no pattern, and I think that would be a lot of work to figure out how to make it. So, I am modifying the costume a bit. I'm actually using the pattern for the Queen of Hearts from Alice and Wonderland because it has the stand-up collar, dress, and jacket. I'll just make it in the appropriate colors. Also, I don't think I'm going to do that tight black hood around my head ... too claustrophobic.

For Prince Charming, there is no pattern, but I shouldn't have too much trouble with it. Saunders will only take this so far, so she's not wearing the tights, boots, or puffy pirate shirt. He'll just wear a white dress shirt and gray dress pants. Then, I'll make him a blue and gold vest and red cape ... if he is still into it when I get everything else made!




Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Dr J said...

Is the plural for Dwarf...Dwarves?

cindy glawson said...

Wow what a chore! If I can help just let me know. You guys will all look great.

Trisha Jones said...

I can't wait to see KA's puff sleeves. I think they will be my favorite part of all!

Carrie Beth said...

I can't wait to see you all dressed up. I'm sure you'll do an awesome job on the costumes. I think it's great that you will all be dressed up to go along with each other and Saunders seems like a great sport.

Katie Jones said...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf ...

The plural form dwarfs has been traced to the 17th century. The alternative plural dwarves has been recorded in the early 18th century (cf. such plurals as "loaves," "elves", "halves," etc.) but was not generally accepted until used by philologist J. R. R. Tolkien in his fantasy novel The Hobbit... Although dwarrow has passed from the language, both dwarfs and dwarves are in current use. Many grammarians prefer dwarfs; many fantasists prefer dwarves. The form dwarfs is generally used for real people affected by dwarfism and in reference to dwarf stars in astronomy; the form dwarves is used for the mythical people described by Tolkien and others.

The Brown Family said...

First of all the Grammar war HILARIOUS!! I love the idea of "themed family costume". A few years ago we had a Halloween costum and Stephen and I were Daphne and Shaggy and I made hime carry around a stuffed Scooby-Doo all night because Noel was Snow White! She won best costume and hair at the PetCo Dog Party! Let see...... Addison is going to be Jasmine, Stephen could be Alladin and my choices are: Jafar (no thank you), Raja (too hot for a wool tiger suit)! I know! I will be the carpet! Sew a few tassles to a rug and here we go! Funny, not all cartoons have more than one pretty girl!

Kelly Miller said...

You are so ambitious! I have no idea what Javi and Bella will be for Halloween. Javi always wants to be something evil and Bella hates anything on her head or in her hair, so the options are limited.

Lana said...

Now I think a few people out there would pay good money to see Saunders in a puffy shirt! However, you're probably right that it wouldn't happen. Oh well. Your sewing is fabulous and I can't wait to see your creations!