Monday, April 6, 2009

Funny Things to Say - The KA Way

I've always loved the "Lily-isms" on my friend Vanessa's blog, and I thought, with all the crazy things Katie Anne is saying now, that it is time for me to add my own little section. So, that's now over on the sidebar on the right.

In honor of Lily being the inspiration, I put one KA quote about Lily. This morning, I asked Katie Anne about her party to see what she remembered. I said, "What did you have at your birthday party?" I was thinking she'd say balloons or cake or presents. She responded, "My has cake, cannels (candles), and Lily." So sweet!

The other quotes for right now are about her grandfathers...

On Friday night, my parents and Saunders's mom came over to help get ready for the party, and Doc was playing the sax at Waterstone Grill. Katie Anne immediately asked where he was, and when VJ told her, she said very firmly, "Doc, go play that music! You go!" just like she'd commanded him to do so. She kept saying it all evening long.

Whenever we read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, she loves to ask which kids on the next-to-last page are boys and which are girls. (Trust me, it is hard to tell.) A few weeks ago, she started asking me, "What color that boy? What color that girl?" because they have very unusual, brightly colored skin. I told her that one boy was yellow, one girl was pink, one boy was teal, one girl was khaki, one boy was brown... and she said, "Oh, my Granddad is brown boy. My Granddad is brown." I didn't think much of it because my dad is always really tan. Then, several days later, we walked past an African-American man in the parking lot at her daycare. Katie Anne promptly pointed her little finger at him and yelled out, "Mommy, that boy brown! That boy brown! That boy brown like my Granddad!" Then, as we passed him, she looked him straight in the eye and said, "My Granddad is brown boy." I said, "Please excuse her," and he said, "Oh, that's no problem. My Granddad is a brown boy, too!" Of course, that guy gave me the once over, and I'm sure he thought that I must favor my mom. :) Every time we see him picking up his preschooler in the afternoons, he gives KA a big grin, so I don't think he was offended at all, but still ... How do you talk to a toddler about tact?

4 comments:

Carrie Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jillian said...

LMAO i loooove the brown boy story!! kids say the darndest things!

cindy glawson said...

:) "Brown Boy" and I laughed about this one. Love it!

Vanessa said...

That is so funny! Kids really do say the darndest things!