Friday, April 17, 2009

The Numbers Game

Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub.
~Richard J. Trudeau, Dots and Lines

Katie Anne loves numbers! She loves to read books and "write names" with her crayons, but she's been way more interested in her numbers than letters lately. For the past three or four weeks, we've been doing a lot of counting, number identification, etc. I made some simple number cards for her one day last week (you can see them on the video... just folded printer paper and a Sharpie), and she loves to play with them! She loves to flip her cards over on the table while I'm getting dinner ready, finding and naming the numbers. She carried several cards in her purse over Spring Break, and she loves pointing out numbers on signs when we're out and about.

So, this afternoon while I was getting her a snack, she wanted to see her cards at the table. I'd been intending to make a video of her number naming over Spring Break, but never got a chance. So, I grabbed the camera and made two videos! We made one pre-snack, and one mid-snack. We play cards two ways, and both are in the videos... sometimes, I lay out all the cards and let her pick the numbers as I name them, and sometimes we play like flashcards. She loves to hold the flashcards up for me to name. Sometimes, I say the wrong letter, and she just dies laughing! "No, Mommy... that not 6, that 2! You know dat!"

Here are our videos... forgive our post-school hair. As you can see, we'd just walked in the door... I've still got sunglasses on my head. Later, when I watched them, I wished I had wiped the mascara smears from under my eyes, but impromtu videos are just that!






5 comments:

Jillian said...

pure genius!!!

GTG said...

That.. is... nuts.

She's gonna have OCD about cleaning though... 'Dirrrrrrrrrttty'

Vanessa said...

I'm amazed. I've always known she's smart, but seriously, I don't know of any other 2 year old that can do that!

Dr J said...

Bam!!!!

cindy glawson said...

What a genius. My goodness she is amazing!